Vice President of Engineering
We are looking for exceptional people who share our mission: to reinvent how we measure human potential. At Imbellus, we build simulation-based assessments to evaluate how people think instead of what they know. Eventually, we'll replace standardized tests like the SAT, ACT, SAT II, and AP.
We're an interdisciplinary team of scientists, game developers, artists, and engineers, funded by by Upfront Ventures and Thrive Capital.
You’ll probably enjoy working with us if
- You’re a systems thinker; you’d rather debate the concept than argue the example; you prize logic and reason as the way towards truth and good decision making
- You’re constantly driven to learn something new or stretch yourself
- You understand that at a fast-growing startup, priorities may shift rapidly. You value exposure across functions and are prepared to work on whichever team or goal is most impactful.
- You’re willing to open-mindedly challenge your own and others’ ideas, but also commit to the ultimate direction when the time comes
- You feel a high level of personal accountability and hold others to a high standard
We’re looking for a VP of Engineering
As the VP of Engineering you are responsible for recruiting, leading, and developing technical talent at Imbellus. You’ll turn abstract, conceptual vision and direction into clear, tangible, tractable action plans for multiple teams. You will be responsible for supporting the delivery of multiple projects and effectively anticipating, tracking and communicating both timelines and risks to the management team. To succeed you must grow your technical team. We envision you working with our recruiting team to hire the best engineers possible, while helping the wider business identify our future leaders.
Imbellus is building a virtual world environment in which we can observe how people navigate situations that involve gathering and inferring information, developing hypotheses, problem solving, and making decisions. Through evaluation of clickstream data, we can unpack how people think by witnessing not just their final choices, but their approaches to varied tasks.
Our product is built in Unity 3D and leverages procedural generation, probabilistic models, and unsupervised learning at its core.
What you’ll be building at Imbellus:
- Imbellus is developing a simulation of the natural world
- Push the bounds of computation, leveraging supervised and unsupervised machine learning to do things like:
- Use NLP to build a database of properties and behaviors of plants, animals, and world systems
- Develop realistic creatures from abstracted DNA
- Build procedural generation engines for terrain, objects, and systems
- Simulate physics, fluid dynamics, and weather
- Imbellus is implementing new measurement models
- Integrate Bayesian Inference Networks and Neural Networks
- Leverage ML to invent scoring algorithms
- Imbellus is leveraging distributed systems and architecting our back end for security
- Develop creative systems architectures to support security objectives
- Drive elegant solutions to complex technical challenges
- Drive product delivery by creating and managing our engineering workstreams
- Engage with our Product team to aid accurate specification and delivery targets
- Develop and utilize appropriate project management frameworks to deliver in a highly technical environment
- Build and nurture a world class engineering team
- Work with our talent experts to identify and hire world class engineering talent
- Designing team and individual roles and responsibilities
- Developing our engineers
- Translate, Synthesize, Communicate and Clarify
- Translating the big picture vision to clear tangible goals and tractable action plans to achieve those goals.
- Continuously synthesize the status and nature of these plans and goals and communicate that synthesis to the management team and broader company
- Be a reliable source of clarification and problem solving for your team
- Provide a clear communication and coordination channel between engineering teams and the wider business
- Improve our systems
- Improve our internal instrumentation & analyze metrics to understand and help to mitigate risk and overhead within engineering
- Identify problems, diagnose root causes and design solutions to improve our project, process and people management in a highly technical environment.
What we are looking for:
- Track record of successfully delivering large, complex software engineering projects on budget and deadline
- Passion for building and developing high-calibre engineering teams with happy, challenged and curious engineers
- Low ego, High EQ, lazer focused goal orientation.
- Deep technical understanding and excellent analytical skills
- Ability and experience navigating between highly conceptual and very granular levels of thinking.
- Deep experience project management frameworks and an understanding of the tradeoffs between them
Our name comes from the Latin word “Imbellis,” a breed of Betta fish. Betta fish don’t swim in schools. Welcome to our fish tank.